"Sailed not as a seaman, but as a traveler..."

"Sailed not as a seaman, but as a traveler..."- Sir Thomas More's Utopia

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Real men dance.


Video credit: HH

The above video is of a good friend of mine dancing with a man celebrating his bachelor party. The groom-to-be lost a dice game. His punishment? Dance with a complete stranger, who is also a man.

To me, this is what living is about. To amass experiences, not possessions. I will be the first to admit that I love a good handwoven kilim from Central Anatolia more than any sane person should, but I don't measure my life in the knick knacks I've accumulated. Truth be told, everytime I see that kilim, I remember the two-man team from whom I purchased it from. One so willing to please, with scalding hot cups of tea always at hand while deftly unfurling his carpets like giant sails catching hurricanes, and the other so easily able to distill the most complicated of life's mysteries into heartfelt laughter.

The only way to live is like these men. Allow this painfully enigmatic universe its bellows and sighs and you get this beautifuly unforced unraveling of moments, moments which you wish you could inhabit much longer than they turn out to last.

2 comments:

  1. Well said Erick. Next time the video better be of you living it up in some foreign land, showing us all how it's done. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. your friend looks like he's enjoying it, haha.

    ReplyDelete