Image: Aboard Singapore's MRT. So many languages!
Walking around Singapore and meeting some very interesting people through some not so conventional avenues, I have come to learn a few things about the tiny island nation. Not only is Singapore a massive crossroad where many different cultures, peoples, and languages collide, Singapore is also an intricate conundrum of laws.
- Gum is banned but you can freely walk around with open containers of alcohol.
- Pornography is highly illegal but prostitution is legal.
- Nudity is considered pornography, so you can't walk around in your birthday suit. Even at home.
- In jail, they monitor the books the inmates read to profile each inmate's preferences. Then they tell the inmates that the books they like are unavailable even though they are. How fucked up is that?
- It is illegal to be homeless.
- In public toilets, you get fined if you don't flush. Sucks to be the guy handing out those fines.
- The national mascot is the Merlion. Yes, half fish, half lion. I know, this is kind of off topic, but come on. How fun is that?
Disclaimer: the preceding information was accumulated solely by word of mouth and has not been confirmed through the rigors of Wikipedia.