This may sound silly, but it might be a good idea to check if a country you are about to visit is at war or not. Monsoon season is about to start in the Pacific tropics right now, but nothing makes torrential downpours more unbearable than bullets and bombs. Real talk.
If you've been following the news, the increased violence in the world might not be new to you, but this index puts all the numbers together. Here are a few of the staggering key findings:
- An increased threat of terrorist attacks in 29 nations
- A greater likelihood of violent demonstrations in 33 countries
- Arab Spring unrest heralds biggest ever change in rankings, Libya tumbles 83 spots
- Somalia displaces Iraq as world’s least peaceful nation
- Violence cost the global economy more than $8.12 trillion in 2010
Mind-bottling, right? Want more? Well, i've always been one to oblige, so here's a nifty little video outlining the metrics used for the Global Peace Index.
So next time you start planning a trip, while looking up the weather forcasts, don't forget to consult the Global Peace Index Map as well. It just might save you a lot of grief, and maybe even a limb or two.